The new freezer is in place and the old one is outta here. I shuffled the old one out of its home of 23 years and found quite a bit of sand and mouse droppings (from a minor infestation several years back) left in its wake. A little vacuuming, a little mopping and the space was ready for the new unit. In the process of cleaning up I hit my head for the last time on Aly's little 5-speed bike hanging to the side of the space. I pulled it down, inflated the tires and rode it around a little to make sure it was mechanically sound, then parked it in the front yard with a FREE sign stuck to the handlebars. Shortly thereafter the Lowes truck arrived. One of the deliverymen asked if he could take the bike. You bet -- take it! And he did along with the old freezer.
The new one had been plugged in only a couple minutes and the inner walls were already cooling. According to the literature it came with, it should cost only $30 a year to run. Unlike the old one, this one has two levels of hanging baskets which slide side to side allowing access to the middle and bottom of the chest. The old one was packed nearly solid with food, the new one can't be, which means we'll actually know what we have in it. And any food put in it will freeze faster as there is room for air to circulate. Here's hoping it lasts as long as the previous unit.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Well, with you experience stated I think I'll pull out our freezer and dust off the coils and clean underneath it. I wish I could stop Bobbi from buy any extra meat for a while so that I could get the volumn of groceries in our unit down to what we could fit into two ice chests.
A couple years ago the door didn't get shut completely and was that way for several days. Well we ended up with a lot of frost clinging to the shelves. I really want to defrost the unit but with so much food in it we would loose a lot ($). Maybe when she goes out to Utah in July I'll just dump the food take the monetary loss and get the unit back in order. Wish I had forked over the extra money for the frostless model, oh well.
I was a little surprised to find that neither unit had external coils (both were chest units). The sides of the freezers serve that function. When running, the external walls are quite warm to the touch.
As to the defrosting struggle, all you have to do is remove the food to a blanket covered floor, then cover it with a couple more blankets while defrosting the unit. Little will be lost. Toss the freezer burned and out of date stuff on the way back in -- it will otherwise help keep the pile cold.
Post a Comment