Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tree cutting


The beavers are still working on the creek side. I've noticed a couple trees which have been recently 'ringed', where the bark has been removed all the way around the trunk, and one with a considerable notch into the core which wasn't like that a month ago. I still haven't seen one of the little buggers; I probably never will. I think they're active towards dusk and later, and I'm too busy being idle at that time of the day.


The cassette to computer project is going to be a long one. It takes a little over 90 minutes to transfer a tape in raw form to the computer. Then another two hours are taken breaking out individual tracks, adding tag information and saving them. So, it's two days per tape and I have 90+ tapes in the rack. Not all have stuff I want but they do have to be examined.


Yesterday I finished processing a cat themed Dr. Demento show from 1993. (I'm surprised I was still recording at that time.) From it I got "Hawaiian War Chant" by Spike Jones, "The Cat Song" and "Giant Spiders" by Joe and Sharon Keefe, "The Siamese Cat Song" by Peggy Lee, "I Hate Cats", "Never Set The Cat On Fire", "We Eat Kitty Cats", and "Forever Fluffy" by a crowd of people nobody knows. There were a couple of other tracks in there too, the best being "Send Me To Glory In A Glad Bag" by John Biggs. It was another good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Good thing you're retired.

I think I might have a dozen tapes left, most were thrown out on the last move. I didn't have a player/recorder any longer so I saw no need to keep them. The only ones that I can't get off the internet are the live recordings from the old KSAN, so they're lost forever.

Creekwalker said...

The loss of the KSAN recordings is sad. You might get lucky and find a station which has managed to keep them, and broadcasts them occasionally, like KCUV out here. We had a small in-town club called Ebetts Field (like the ball park) in which a local audio store managed to record many performances. The station has been putting out an annual CD of material, and plays cuts on a weekly broadcast. Their latest CD had "Hello, Hello" by the Sopworth Camel. What a Hoot! KCUV streams their broadcast (or at least used to). You might want to check them out during the day at -- they play interesting music.