I hopped on the bike thinking I would make a circuit of the reservoir, but ended up doing an out-and-back. I still managed to get 15.5 miles in, making my total for the year double that of last year. Given that I basically didn't ride last year, this isn't a great accomplishment. Still, I feel good and plan to triple last year's total next month.
On the way out, an older guy coming off the Spillway Path warned me of a large rattlesnake at the top of the path (about a mile up the hill). As I got near the top I saw two cyclists, a couple on recumbent trikes, waving and pointing. Continuing to approach, I could hear them repeatedly shouting "snake". Sure enough, it was a big rattler -- 2.5 to 3 feet long and 1.5 inches in diameter. It was in a defensive posture, coiled and ready to strike, rattling when anything moved too close.
The couple didn't want to go by, sure it would strike. As their butts were only inches from the path, their concern was somewhat justified. But given that a rattler can't strike much beyond one half their body length all they had to do was give a two foot separation between their front wheel and the snake and there would be no problem, even if it did try a strike.
Not long after I got there another cyclist came up from the east. When he heard of and saw the snake he stayed a terrified 30 feet away. He was really spooked! Moments later a gal came over the top of the hill from the west, ignorant of our calls and pointing until nearly on top of the snake. Her reaction -- "That is a big one."
The guy from the couple tried moving the snake off the path with the pole carrying his bike flag. It was too limber to lift the snake, but he did manage to coax it to the side of the path. I rolled my front tire right up to its snout and held it there while the other three cycles moved on along their way. I continued on my way west but didn't see anyone to warn.
The snake was a beautiful specimen, good color, impressive size and a pretty good temperment. At to time did I see it attempt a strike. I saw no sign of it on my return an hour later. I can only hope it's out there in the fields reducing the prairie dog population.
Sadly, I neglected to grab one of my smaller cameras before starting.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment