This will be my last flying post, I promise.
Saturday I flew from Kremmling to Fairplay along the Blue River passing over Green Mountain Reservoir and Lake Dillon. Fran and I had driven around the south side of Lake Dillon during our return from Copper Mountain last month and noted that much of the stand of dead lodgepole pines where we used to camp with the kids back in the '80s and early '90s had been cut down. The campground could be easily seen from Swan Mountain Road. I don't have any pictures because the camera was in the back and there were no pullouts handy.
While flying over Lake Dillon imagine my surprise when the sim's topographic scenery showed the peninsula holding the campground denuded and grassy! Looking to the west, the other Forest Service campground area near Frisco was showing the same attributes, something we'd noted driving by it. How the sim could have known of the change is beyond me. I saw no modem activity while the flight was in progress. Maybe it was imbedded in the SP1 download I allowed the day of the installation, but the write-up on that implied it was all code, not data files. Puzzling.
Here is a screen capture for the curious.
Our campground is to the left of the tail, the FS campgrounds are to the right of the wing.

4 comments:
Ahhh, but could you spot you old campsite?
Have you thought of flying up to the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore to see how that is rendered out?
I couldn't see our specific campsite during the flight (I did pause the sim to look around). While the roads are drawn in pretty well, they aren't complete. None of the actual camping loops could be seen.
The Mt. Rushmore flight is a wonderful idea. I may have to break my promise about further posts if the scenery is good.
I had so much fun camping there it's really sad to see it lately. Didn't they move the bathrooms to the site we used the most at the end of the bend?
I also remember chopping the wood and either Dee or I almost taking off a finger with it.
I believe the pit vault toilet we use when we first visited the site was closed one year. We had to use another one on the loop we would pass on the way to our site. The next year we had a brand spanking new, and roomier toilet where the old one stood. Out site stayed unchanged. And remember that outside of just one year it was the only site we ever used.
I remember you kids chopping wood. You were scary wielding the hatchet. I wasn't much safer -- I nearly whacked my foot one day. After that my stance and swing changed.
Post a Comment