Sunday, September 13, 2009

Electronic recycling

For the past week, Channel 9 has been advertising another recycling event for electronic junk every household has, to be held Saturday. There were two drop-off locations, Invesco Field and Dick's Sporting Goods Park, in the parking lots. Friday I got together with neighbor Vel and loaded up the truck with the bulkiest items we'd stored in her garage after the failure of the event in March (it was that recent?).

All went well yesterday. I got near Dick's Sporting Goods Park around 6:50a. The line ended a half block south of 60th on Quebec. It was moving almost constantly, turning on to 60th, then onto the road between two parking lots, winding through the western one, then entering the other halfway along its backside, there wandering the periphery to the front corner. There must have been 20-odd numbered rows where cars were being directed to drop off their stuff. I pulled into my lane and found no one in front of me. Three guys opened the back of the truck and started unloading. I asked another passing the cab if they took wires and small stuff. He said yes and held out his hands. It took three double-hand loads to clear the cab of its pile of small crap (several mice, power cords, obsolete memory sticks, a phone and an A/B switch box). Then, done and out. I'd at Dick's a total of 30 minutes, and was back home just over an hour after I'd left. It couldn't have been better organized.

Vel and I still have a few things to get rid of. Channel 9 had a stated limit of ten items, and no more than five TVs (!) per vehicle. In retrospect, I probably could have taken a couple more things without getting yelled at but we'd still have had stuff left over. Now we wait for the next event.

No comments: