It's been a while now since I had my annual physical and my three times a year visit with my diabetes counsellor. As to general health, I'm good. I did have one thing I complained about (an extended period of an off-balance feeling) but subsequent tests basically told the doctors I couldn't have had what I said I had. I guess I'll have to wait for it to happen again and hope I can catch a doctor while it's in progress. On the diabetes front, my A1C came back at 6.9%, meaning my average blood glucose level was 151 mg/dl. That's better than just about any time since I was put on insulin. Following my abdominal surgery and subsequent reduction in beer consumption, I've been able to reduce my insulin intake by about 20%. Though I have returned to drinking some beer, that activity has not forced an increase in insulin need from the no-beer levels. I'm happy.
My BG numbers have been good enough in the mornings that I've actually felt comfortable enough to get back on the bike. I took two rides around the reservoir last week. I should be able to pass last year's total mileage (a whopping 78 miles) this week. Doubling it by September should be no problem, but I will probably never see 1,000 miles again. One thing which helped immeasurably in getting me back on the bike has been the regular workouts at the Senior Center. There I've spent half my time working my legs on a recumbent bike and a machine where you push against a plate with your feet in a motion similar to standing up. Because of those activities I'm able to finish the hour long rides without any leg discomfort, just a sore butt. (Why is it that the butt always gives out one to two miles from the finish of a ride?)
In summary, things are good.
Monday, July 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Glad to hear you are feeling well! And congratulations on the better BG control.
With the loss of balance what did you think it was? It might be from small crystals forming in your inner ear - sometimes there are head positioning exercises to do that will greatly lessen the problem if it's that. When I had it I ended up blaming the toxic apartment I lived in - it started when I moved in and got better when I finally moved out. I should have gone the first time I suspected it was the cause. (a roommate got it too when he moved into that room)
I think you're referring to the elliptical machine (like walking). It's the closest thing I've found to XC skiing. Good stuff!
Have fun on your rides. Watch for bonk warning signs...
The machine I was trying to describe is neither an elliptical nor a "wave" machine. The latter sort of duplicates a skating motion. In the weight machine I've been using and so poorly described, you sit down and place your feet on a near vertical place in front of you, knees bent, and straighten your legs against the weight it carries, variable by user. I've been doint five sets of ten reps against 120 lbs interspersed with five sets of twenty reps of calf curls using the edge of the plate and straight legs. It can't be called a leg extension machine -- on that one you're sitting with your legs dangling over the edge of the seat and your feet hooked under a padded arm. Then you straighten your legs against the arm's weight. I also use that machine.
The off-kilter experience I had started when I woke up one day and lasted for two hours. It disturbing while it lasted but hasn't recurred. I do have occasional dizzy spells shortly after standing from a witting position. Those are brought on by low pulse rate and low blood pressure and the body not well keeping the blood flowing to the head. I've had that situation for years and have collapsed only once, scaring the crap out of Mom and Tish.
I carry water and a lot of Necco wafers on the rides these days. The two together quickly take care of any BG lows I encounter. Of course, I have to admit to myself I'm having a low to properly treat it. In my case, the first thing that happens to me during a low is getting stupid.
Weight machine sounds like modified squats. I don't know what the machine is called.
Re: Neccos and water, maybe you should just have some every 20 minutes or so, so the stupid doesn't make you forget you need to eat something. You can set an alarm. Before you know it you'll be a Pavlovian dog. :)
I checked the placard on the machine today. It's called the "Seated Leg Press" machine.
Post a Comment