Friday, July 24, 2009

Flying about

I've made some time in the afternoons to fly. The simulator of course. I found myself enjoying the flying about after finding a trick which allows me to release the joystick, relax and look around. Up to that point I'd had to hold the stick the whole time to prevent the plane (any plane) from nosing down into a near vertical plunge. That was getting tiring, let me tell you. The trick, if anyone cares, is to get the plane into a neutral configuration at an acceptable altitude and turn on the autopilot, then turn it off. There seems to be a residual hold but I gain full control of the aircraft. Any slight altitude gain or loss continues till the next autopilot cycle. I've found it useful for a steady climb to altitude as well as flat and level flight.

A couple weeks ago I thought I'd do some sightseeing. I took off from Laughlin-Bullhead and started up the Colorado River. My first flight ended at Boulder City Municipal. Starting there the next day I headed towards the Grand Canyon, landing at the strip next to Tusayan. A couple days later I left Tusayan for Page, still flying the Colorado, this time along the Marble Canyon. From Page I started up the Colorado but turned right onto the San Juan. I wanted to see how the Goosenecks were depicted. Not too bad as it turns out. What is missing is the road to the overlook where I've taken the family whenever we've been in the area. The pictures below show the Goosnecks. Soon I'll return to Page to follow the Colorado through Glen Canyon and Cataract Canyon. Where I'll land is anyone's guess.



Funny how the river climbs the canyon wall.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Great pictures and it is very strange water...does it show Lake Mead with low water?

Creekwalker said...

Owing to the distinct lack of photorealism Lake mead does not show a low water level.

Speaking of that lack, the sim shows houses within the boundaries of Cherry Creek State Park, some right up against the water, even on the highest scenery setting.

Still, it's fun to just fly around sightseeing.