We can finally put away the DSL modem issues. It powered up correctly this morning, a good thing as had it not the recovery process might have led to purchasing a new unit. So, happy, happy.
We got our first significant snow today. No measurements yet (I measure water content with the rain gauge), but there are a couple inches on the lawn. While waiting at a traffic light late this morning, the light changed and I watched as a small sedan slid a car length into the intersection from the left, and a newer SUV did the same from the right with its ABS in obvious use. I hesitated to be sure no one else would copy those actions then proceeded to slip and slide my own way into the space.
Last night Fran could find nothing in the TV listings worth watching. It was a case of Springsteen's "57 Channels And Nothing On". At her suggestion I pulled out a copy of "Hogfather" I recorded last year. It's based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld series novel of the same name. I laughed as much last night as I did when I first read the book and later saw the film. Pratchett is wickedly funny. In the books a major player, Death (yes, he with the scythe and one of my favorite characters) always speaks in CAPITAL LETTERS. His voice in the film hints at the difference in his speech and everyone else's quite nicely. Whenever he is on the screen I have a hard time looking at anything but his eyes -- glinty blue reflections in a skull's eye sockets. The film is certainly appropriate for the season and very, very well done. A warning to all headed this way for Christmas: prepare to be amused.
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment