Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's finally over

Thank God it's over and the right man for the country won. I feel good.


It was so strange last night as the returns were being reported. I stepped outside a number of times and noted that there was less traffic on the six lane speedway behind my back fence than we see on a Christmas morning. I took that as an indication that people were viscerally interested in the outcome.


We were so tired of all the mean spirited political ads being run here, I can't tell you what a relief it will be to be assaulted by Billy Mays in their stead. For a little while, anyway.


Can California still claim to be at the forefront of the country politically? With Prop. 8 passing, I don't think so. It's one of the most hateful things I've heard of being put into law. Jim Crow for the 21st century. Being a constitutional amendment I doubt any legal challenge can be made. Hopefully the next election will have a countering amendment to undo its havoc.

Proposition 48 here went down in flames. There will be no personhood rights for fertilized eggs for a while. The author and principle backer maintained throughout the election that it was not intended to outlaw abortions. Hah! Delusional! We now need a challenge to the just passed South Dakota law which was designed to overturn Rowe v. Wade.

It was reported before the fact that Gov. Palin was going to fly to Alaska to vote, then return to Arizona for the election results. I don't know that she actually did that, but doesn't it offend you, as it did me, that she would even consider such an act. How un-green and wasteful of resources that would be. She's apparently above using an absentee ballot. Here's hoping she never rises further in the political world.

That's it. I'm done. Nothing more political unless I bet pissed during the next election, two years hence. Now, back to paying attention to the little things.

One last thing -- Jimmy Carl Black, RIP.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try not to get caught up in the political junk unlike some others at work that get all wound up and argue over some of the stuff that goes on or the propositions. What a waste of time and energy it can be. I vote that way that I feel is correct and if it is not how the rest of the country, state of county votes I just except it and go on with my life. There was a big disagreement today in the office, and that is not good for a business atmosphere.

Last night, while Bobbi worked the polls, (yes she volunteers, for she like to help the community out) I sat at home and watched Mysterious Island, it was so much more interesting than the tallying of the votes. I didn’t find out until this morning the Obama won.

Derende said...

Prop 8 - it ain't over yet. There are a number of legal arguments being prepared about it and it's expected to go straight to the CA Supreme Court - who legalized gay marriages here in May. This will be interesting and I'm hopeful will move ahead sooner than later.

Creekwalker said...

Dee, I saw your comment on Schmutzie's outstanding blog post on Prop 8. It deserves wider circulation, somehow.

I wasn't aware of any self-terminations in while you were in school, or did I misunderstand.