Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I'm flying

I began loading Flight Simulator X at 11:30 yesterday. Two and a half hours and 41,000 files later (including download and install of Service Pack 1) I was flying an ultralight aircraft out of Centennial Airport (five miles south of the house) to sight see the Denver area. Centennial's layout is spot-on, major roads are easily found, but photo-realistic FS is not. That, really, would be too much to expect, though if a way could be found to tie Google Earth's imagery to the FS topography sightseeing would be lots more fun.

In this version of the sim lighting and weather are tied to the actual location conditions you're playing in, though you can override that and set your own. For me weather was clear and calm. I flew towards the mountains with the intention of following I-70 up to Georgetown. Things were going well until I passed 9400 feet in elevation. Suddenly I was being pitched and bucked all over the sky by wind made turbulent by its passage over and through the mountains. Fighting that wasn't fun so I went to Plan B, following the Red Rocks formation south to near Larkspur. It was interesting to see Arrowhead Golf Course pass below my feet Dinner was approaching so I had to abandon my flight before getting back to Centennial.

This sim has several aircraft to fly: an ultralight, a Cessna, a DeHavilland Beaver float plane, a Red Bull class racer/stunt flier, a twin Beech, a sailplane, a helicopter and a couple commercial jets. Way more than enough to keep me occupied. There is also a pretty good ground school complete with certifying flights to be performed. This could be a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An ultra-light in mountain passes . . . no, no, no.

Your idea of tying FS into Google Earth is great; you should write them about that.

And for an add-on, maybe a forestry fire fighting tanker with a simulated fire in the hills and you have so much time to snuff it out. You would have to watch out for the other aircraft and deal with the winds generated by the fire itself. Come to think of it that might be a whole separate game on it’s own.

Creekwalker said...

I wasn't planning to do a mountain pass, just look around. I think the altitude is what got me. If I'd tried hugging the ground I might have made my objective.

While tying FS and GE together somehow, I seriously doubt it will happen -- the companies are enemies, from MS's view anyway.

I ran across something which implied that you could design your own aircraft and import them into FSX. That's far beyound my interests You might broach the idea to MS or one of the war aircraft gaming companies though.

I just finished flying a Cessna 172 from San Carlos to Lakeport with a successful landing/takeoff at San Francisco and a Golden Gate fly-by. Good fun!