Friday, lunch with the Geezers. A good time at what used to be a really fun place to grab a bite, the Emerald Isle. Deck, view overlooking the state park and Front Range, good weather, renowned bad service: who could want more? Me for one. The food quality has gone down so much I'm not sure abysmal properly defines it. Not inedible, nor sickening mind you, but not the quality one would want at such a spot. Long gone are the days where you'd have to wait through two beers to get a killer plate of loaded nachos. Here at least there was no spaghetti sauce on them.
Saturday, Southlands Mall for the Farmer's Market. Impression: very small, only two vendors selling actual produce. Others present were peddling Kettle Korn, cinnamon almonds, artworks, various nut butters, gourmet pies ($14 ea.), and two were selling nothing but tortillas! Disappointing, but a pleasant drive to the top of the hill southeast of us.
Sunday, Peoples Fair in Civic Center Park, Denver. We rode the Light Rail down to ease parking woes, though parking is free on Sundays. A several block walk to the site for some exercise. Once there, only Miller products available -- ecch! Gyros and falafals for lunch. Gifts for upcoming events got purchased. It's one of the best people watching happenings in Denver, and always fun. I encountered my first PF during a bike ride back when it was being held on the Promenade in front of East High. I think it was there the following two years before moving to Civic Center. Usually a hotbed of political and social issues, this year seemed particularly quiet on that front. The rain began just after we left the area. It was cold enough that I ducked under the umbrella Fran had thoughtfully brought along. On the ride back home I spotted a funnel cloud and pointed it out to Fran. Others heard me (I wasn't that loud) and wandered around for a better look (think "Out of the windows on the left side of the aircraft..."). By the time we hit our destination station it was gone. Arriving at home we saw piles of hail slightly above pea-sized. The TV was telling of trashed vehicles and a gas leak at Southlands Mall.
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment