Saturday, March 7, 2009

Oh, well

Well, this morning's project was a bust. Channel 9 was advertising a free electronics recycle at several locations around the metro area, one of them Aurora Town Center (previously known as the Aurora Mall). I staged several items into the garage which could best be described as antique and/or no-op -- two turntables, an old portable black and white TV, and a crapped out AT&T princess telephone. Today I loaded up the car and made a final sweep of the computer room and found a couple PCI circuit boards, some old ribbon cables for the TRS-80, a joystick and a handful of memory sticks.

Our neighbor Vel asked if I could help her with her stuff. There I found an early word processing box (keyboard, small screen and built-in printer), two computers, a monitor and an old TV. Somehow we squeezed it into the car and off we went.

We didn't have a good idea where exactly on the grounds the event would be held, so we drove in from the south and began driving the perimeter road. We found ourselves in a line which was joined by the east entrance and continued up and around to some point on the north side of the mall. Progress was very slow owing to the merging from the east entrance road. A teen in a Channel 9 jacket was coming down the line talking to each driver. When she got to us we got the bad news -- we were three and a half hours away from the drop-off point. Granted, my time is worth nothing these days but losing that much time to just sitting around in an intermittently idling car didn't make sense. She also informed us that a local recycling company would be taking the stuff off our hands for free, with a small fee for items containing glass. We bailed.

It looks like we'll be heading up to the recycling company on Tuesday sometime before lunch hour. Tuesday may be good; snow is predicted which should scare some people away. Fingers are crossed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they didn’t expect, or ready for, the crowds that they got for their recycling drive. Maybe they will do a little better planning next time.

Here in Nevada County we can take our E-waste to the local transfer station and there is no charge. Their recycling has several areas, one for household chemicals, and another for paints. You can take your old tires, car batteries, motor oil to the “car area”, and any scrap metals, washers, driers, refrigerators, stoves go in a metal area. Of course they also have the regular cans, bottles and paper center too. Aluminum cans, glass and plastic bottles that have CRV (cash redemption value) you can collect your money back, all other recycling is free.

Now when you dump household trash you are charged by the ton, but what I don’t understand is the charges for dumping “green waste”. When I go there with the truck loaded with pine needles to the top of the cab one person will charge $3.50 and another will get me for $8.35, which is what they are suppose to charge for that size of load, but it’s never the same. Anyhow, this is what I don’t like, they charge us to dump our stuff, they grind it and PG&E comes and pays them for the material. They’re making money for it to come in and to go out. The fee is small enough that I don’t care it’s just the thought of the double payment, I mean if PG&E pays for it shouldn’t I get a portion of that money? Oh well, what does happen to this material is PG&E press’ it into bricks and burns it in furnishes to make steam, that turns turbines, that drive generators that make electricity that I have to turn around and buy. I am definitely on the losing end of the deal. Ouch!