Thursday, July 3, 2008

Heard and seen

On today's walk in the woods I (surprise) spooked a deer. It bounded away and turned to put a tree between us. Then it cried out! Several times. I moved down the path and had a clear view of it and there is no doubt it was the source of the sound. It was a medium pitch, buzzy call on a slightly falling note. I'm guessing it was telling its fawn to either "stay put" or "come to me", most likely the former.


Two days ago I walked the loop around the creek south of the road. At the first beaver area, about 3/4 mile down the Cherry Creek Trail from the parking lot I heard a strange sound, "oom", low and buzzy with a falling tone. It repeated, then was answered from another point in the cattails. It's the first time I've heard frogs anywhere in the Denver area. I'd heard them by the roadside outside of Granby heading towards Grand Lake, and also at a high altitude pond north of Blackhawk. Both those times the croaks were high pitched and very frequent. The ones Tuesday were low and relatively infrequent. Moving on along the path to the newer beaver pond at about .9 miles, a dozen or more were singing. I wish I had had a recorder along. Perhaps I could use my little video camera and just strip out the sound track. Hmmm.


On today's walk I captured a Western Tiger Swallowtail on a Showy Milkweed. Here it is:

No comments: