A few weeks back Fran and I went down to Old Pearl Street (the block north of Louisiana) to attend the Brew Grass Festival. We'd been to other music fests at the site in years past and always had a good time meeting up with friends, sharing a couple brews and enjoying the music.
This year was a bit different. We arrived around 11am as we'd done in the past to find the place not ready for visitors. A stroll to the stage showed the usual assortment of food vendors including one offering Jamaican jerked goat -- interesting, but at $9 a plate a bit out of my range. The beer offerings were mostly from Front Range microbreweries. Sadly, Dry Dock was not represented. Back at the entrance Fran talked with some of the staff and found that it wouldn't be open until 12, the entry fee was $10 a person and there was no discount for using the RTD light rail as was done before. I noticed that the music wouldn't be getting started until 1pm.
Neither of us was eager to wait around for everything to get going. Hunger began to gt our attention, so we ducked into the Duffyroll Cafe, a small eatery there on the corner of Pearl and Louisana. I thought I'd eat a bit light and get a 1/2 sandwich and cup of soup if the soup sounded tasty (I'm not big on creme soups or chicken). I was told they didn't have any hot soup that day, only gazpacho. I'd never had that before and went ahead with my plan. Fran followed suit. While waiting to place my order I was eyeing Duffyrolls for a possible breakfast the next day. I ordered two. Moments later the food was delivered to our table. Each plate had a mini and a standard Duffyroll on it. We asked for a bag for the standard rolls.
To my surprise, the gazpacho was very tasty. I loved it. Fran didn't so much because it had cucumber in it. She did finish it however. The mini Duffyrolls held the promise of a good breakfast the next day.
The food section of the Denver Post the following Wednesday had a recipe for gazpacho. It looked easy enough so I cut it out.
Yesterday I got around to making it as an accompanyment to a grilled tri-tip roast that I'd marinated in a packet of chipolte seasoning from Weber that I added some lime juice to (it was very good). The gazpacho was very much like what I remember being served at Duffyroll even though I cut way back on the cucumber and left that as a separate garnish along with some diced onion. It seems I'm going to be the primary consumer of the soup. Fran ate a little and again complained about the cucumber. Jeff and Tish avoided it entirely. So it goes, I guess. Still, I like it and will be making it in smaller batches in the future.
Thursday, July 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hooray for food experimentation! Can it be made without the cucumber?
I had gazpacho once, there was a lot of raw garlic in it which I'm pretty sure is not the usual thing.
for my next ice cream experiment, I'm thinking cherries.
Post a Comment